Fully aware of the technical and economic difficulties involved in the production of photobooks, since 2015 Fiebre Photobook offers an annual award aimed at publishing the best dummy, selected among all submitted proposals.
This call is sponsored by Artes Gráficas Palermo, Dalpine collaborates in the editing and distribution, with the participation of La Troupe in the prepress.
Submissions has been extended until November 30 and participation costs €20. Only a PDF will be submitted, NOT the printed dummy. The international jury will select the 10 finalists and the winner will be announced at the end of December. The author will receive €1000 and the official presentation will take place at the next edition of the festival in Madrid.
- All photographers who conceive photography as a means of expression are invited to participate, regardless of their age and nationality.
- The submitted project may be individual or collective.
- The project must be original and unpublished, and no publishing commitment may exist with any other publisher.
- The proposal must be as close as possible to the final version with regard to editing, format and materials used.
- A 20€ participation fee per proposal applies.
- Participants must fill in the online registration form and attach the requested material, either in Spanish or in English.
- Participants will submit a PDF version of the dummy, under 10Mb, regardless of the printed mockup.
- In the application form you will be asked to specify: format, measurements, number of pages, type of paper/s, type of binding, type and/or material of cover/s, finishing, other relevant technical details.
- Any proposals received after the deadline will be declined.
- The jury will select the 10 shortlisted works and will arrange a brief online interview with each of the authors.
- The decision of the international jury shall be final and unappealable.
- The award may be declared void, in which case all participation fees shall be reimbursed.
Print run of 500 copies of the winning dummy, subject to the following conditions::
- Artes Gráficas Palermo will be in charge of the production process, including print, paper and binding.
- Dalpine will be in charge of distribution, presence in major photobook fairs and circulation among agents and expert critics.
- La Troupe will be in charge of prepress.
- Fiebre Photobook will be in charge of the photobook’s communication and promotional campaign. The festival will also cover the author’s travel expenses to Madrid during the official launching of the book in 2023.
- The author will receive 1.000 € as an advance payment for the copyright of the first edition of the book (subject to tax).
- The author will receive 25 copies of the photobook.
- The winning dummy, along with the other 9 finalists, will participate in the dummy exhibition on the Fiebre Photobook website.
The 10 shortlisted dummies will be shown in pdf format at the Fiebre website, where the audience can vote for their favorite. The dummy with the most votes will be the winner of the Audience Award of the 7th edition of the Fiebre Photobook Dummy Award. This award is symbolic and there is no cash prize involved.
- Deadline: 24 October 2022 at 11:59 pm (CEST – Madrid time)
- Shortlist announcement: 24 november 2022.
- Winner announcement: December 2022.
- Production of the photobook will take place early 2023.
- The photobook launch will take place in Madrid, during Fiebre 2023.
- All applicants warrant that they are the sole owners and rights holders of the content of their submitted projects (texts, images and design).
- Both the shortlisted and winner authors consent to the showing of the pdf dummies at the Fiebre Photobook website and give their permission to share information regarding the projects for their promotion.
- The winning author will invoice Fiebre Photobook for the value of 1.000 €, including taxes.
- The book shall include an acknowledgement to Fiebre Photobook and all contributors shall be listed on the credits page.
What are we seeking?
We are looking for an original project specifically adapted to book format. The pdf dummy should be virtually ready for publication in terms of design, editing and other technical aspects.
Who can participate?
This call is open to authors of all ages and nationalities; there is a 20€ submission fee per application.
How many projects can you submit?
As many as you wish; however, each proposal must be submitted independently.
Do you have to send a hard-copy dummy?
No, applicants will only submit a pdf version of the dummy, and in case of being one of the 10 shortlisted authors, the pdf will be shown at the Fiebre website.
¿Cómo va a ser la distribución del libro?
Dalpine will be in charge of national and international distribution and Fiebre will roll out a communication campaign in order to achieve the widest possible dissemination, with presence in different festivals, bookshops, libraries, media and events.
Who will own the publishing rights?
Fiebre Photobook Festival and Dalpine shall own the publishing rights for the first edition, which shall then be signed over to the author for future editions. The copyright of all images included in the book shall belong to the author, who shall authorise their use for the purpose of publishing the book and for all necessary communication and dissemination purposes.
What happens if the award is declared void?
In the event that the international jury decides to declare the award void, the organisation will reimburse all submission fees.